“Assessment” is a scary word. While you are a student, you are terrified with this notion because it means that you will have to work harder to succeed. However, when you are an adult and have a job, this word can still frighten you. Did you know that assessments are held also for workers? So, it would be better for you to conquer your fear of assessments now and you will be good at passing them in the future.
In this article, we are going to talk about a science formative assessment. This means that our recommendations will be useful for students that are studying physics, mathematics, biology, and other allied disciplines. Hurry up to get acquainted with our advice and you will leave you fears behind once and for all!
When to Expect a Formative Assessment in Science?
This type of assessment is internal, which means that it is held by your teacher. Its purpose is to check your personal knowledge and to make an opinion about the average level of knowledge in class. You can be given this task anytime, however, the most typical situations are:
- In the middle of the term. When you have already learned some part of the term program, your teacher might be interested whether everything is understandable for you. Therefore, he or she will hold a science formative assessment so that he or she will be able to change the program. Or, your teacher can just change the approach to teaching students.
- At the beginning of an educational year. If you are studying the discipline for more than one year, you might face the formative assessment for science at the beginning of each new educational year. Why is it held so early? The reason is so teachers can make an opinion about what you remember from the previous courses and provide you with new knowledge according to what you know at the moment. If the majority of the class forgets anything, he or she will review this information with you.
- When you start working with a new teacher. Each teacher has his or her own approach to teaching students. New teachers don’t know exactly how good your previous teacher was. He or she should know which topics you understand well and which you don’t so that it will be possible to teach you something new. Science studies are difficult and you can’t skip topics because you won’t understand the next.
What to Expect at a Formative Assessment in Science?
Typically, teachers try to evaluate students’ knowledge from different sides. Therefore, you might face diverse tasks within the framework of assessment. So, what are the types of formative assessment in science that you are likely to face?
- A project. This task you can be assigned to do at home. Its aim is to check your research and analytical skills and your ability to work without pressure. It can be assigned even for holidays. Typically, you will need to conduct specific experiments and explain their results according to the theoretical framework. No matter which project you will have to complete, you should keep in mind that you need to be a good observer to succeed.
- A multiple-choice test. You have probably completed plenty of such tests while studying. The questions can be very tricky for a formative assessment for science; hence you should be extremely attentive. First, complete tasks that are relatively simple for you, and afterward, move to more difficult ones.
- Oral questions. This type of assessment is the most difficult for some students. Nowadays, students get used to online communication and find it difficult to speak. With this kind of activity, you won’t have enough time to prepare answers. However, if you revise topics from time to time, there’s nothing to be worried about. You have good chances to cope with these questions.
- Written questions. Some diligent students can fail oral questions because they can’t think under pressure; therefore, their results won’t be absolutely objective. For this reason, teachers usually give students written tasks along with oral. So, when you pass a written formative assessment for science you should give extended answers with proper explanations.
- Solve specific tasks. These are tasks that you get used to solving at home. The difficulty is that you won’t be able to check necessary formulas or anything of this nature. So, try to commit to your memory the obligatory data and review it once and again.
We have named only several types of formative assessment in science. Your teacher may create some new types. Therefore, you should always be prepared for this type of activity.
Why Is It Important to Succeed With an Assessment?
We would like to make you a bit more motivated so that you put in more effort to pass an assessment. Why will it be useful for you?
- You’ll improve your GPA. You may think that scores for a formative assessment don’t influence you GPA, but usually, they do. So, if you really care about your GPA, try harder!
- You’ll be aware of your real level of knowledge. If you do your best during the assessment, you will know your real abilities. This also will help you to create a strategy for further studying.
- You’ll improve your skills. As we already mentioned, adults also have assessments. Therefore, you should get used to them and conquer your fears. If you do this now, you’ll find it a piece of cake to pass assessments when you’re an adult.
Need More Help?
If you are having difficulties with any of your assignments, you can use the BuyEssay service. We hire experienced writers with strong writing and researching skills. They are able to help you to complete your tasks whenever you need. However, we suggest that you contact us as soon as you face difficulties that you can’t cope with.
Our service works round-the-clock! You can contact us even now. What are you waiting for? Fill the order form and receive qualified help in time!